The program is designed to:
- Encourage and support our Grade 9 students in achieving and completing the mandatory 40 community service hours required for graduation as outlined by the Ministry of Education.
- To create a more rounded individual with demonstrable acts that depict and clearly demonstrate the schools core values.
- The provision of global and life experiences that allows each boy to find their passion and perhaps commit to a life of continued learning
- To provide opportunities to expose the boys to life beyond what they currently know and experience.
- Opportunities as a school develop better relationships with the wider community.
- Helping our boys to understand that giving back is a civic responsibility, and that many corporations and universities look upon a willingness to serve in a favourable light.
- Generate an interest in service that will lead to community contributions in excess of the required 40 hours.
- Students may earn hours starting the summer at the end of their Grade 8 year
- Students must complete their service hours and have them submitted to Ms. Murray or their Guidance mentor by April 30 of their Grade 9 year
- Every student that earns 40 hours or more will be invited to a breakfast celebration to recognize their contribution to our community
Students are also encouraged to look for opportunities within their own communities, by speaking to community organizations within their area. Community service opportunities will be emailed to students during the year, as well as posted on the School's outreach board. Below are a few websites with community opportunities: